Your lawn needs your attention and care; especially when it is time to prepare the seedbed for new plants.
You need to have the right tools to prepare the seedbed, so they get enough space to grow and flower. You need to have an electric tiller for effective results.
A good electric tiller is not only sufficient for planting season, but it also fulfills other gardening requirements as well.
If you still use a shovel or a broad fork to make the seedbeds, then it is the time to cut short the long hours of hard work and let an electric tiller do the job in time as short as half.
Here is the review of the best electric tillers. We have given below their features, pros, and cons.
This will help you to judge the performance and benefits of the features of each electric tiller.
- Top 10 Electric Tillers 2017
- 1. Earthwise 11-Inch 8.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller/Cultivator, Model TC70001
- 2. Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe Garden 14-Inch 6.5 amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator
- 3. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator
- 4. Earthquake MC43 Mini Cultivator with 43cc 2-Cycle Viper Engine
- 5. Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7920 – Ultra-Lightweight – Compact, Powerful – Sure-Grip Handles – Built to be Durable and Dependable
- 6. BLACK+DECKER LGC120 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Garden Cultivator/Tiller
- 7. GreenWorks 27072 8 Amp 10-Inch Corded Tiller
- 8. Troy-Bilt TB154E 6 Amp Electric Garden Cultivator
- 9. Mantis 7250-15-02 3-Speed Electric Tiller/Cultivator with Border Edger and Kickstand
- 10. Mantis 7262-00-02 4-Cycle Honda Gas-Powered Tiller/Cultivator
- Electric Tiller Buying Guide
- Types of Tiller Based On Your Needs
- Features To Look In For
Top 10 Electric Tillers 2017
Here are the top 10 electric tiller reviews for the year 2017. Some of these are lightweight, making the task easy for you.
Fed up of garden weeds? Check these weed killers.
You can order one today and let them do the service for your seedbeds.
1. Earthwise 11-Inch 8.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller/Cultivator, Model TC70001
The Earthwise Corded 8.5-Amp Tiller and Cultivator is a must have tool for your gardening jobs.
This electric tiller takes all the responsibility of preparing your lawn for plantation. Earthwise electric tiller has a slim and sleek design that fulfills all the qualities and requirements of an efficient electric tiller.
It does not take a lot of storage place in the garage as its sleek design is easy to fit into corners. This gardening tool comes with dual four blade steel tines that increase the efficiency and efficacy of your gardening efforts.
The Earthwise 8.5 amp cultivator has a cutting width of 11 inches which means it is very convenient and helpful in tilling till the depth of 8 inches.
You will not have to worry about the soil preparation for cultivation because there is no better tool that this one to do the job.
This cultivator has an ergonomic handle with a firm grip and cord retention hook as well. It makes you wrap the extra wire around the hook, so it does not be of any harm.
You can ensure a healthy growth of your favorite plants by using this excellent tiller.
It performs all the functions resourcefully; including preparing flower beds, preparing the garden, loosening the soil and cleanup of the bed at the end of the season.
It has the strength to cultivate packed and hard dirt in just blink of an eye. You can get rid of all the hassle that you were facing earlier to deal with gardening.
With its flip down wheels, it is easy to operate. The lightweight design ensures easy handling of the device.
Unlike many other cultivators in the market, this one emits no gas or fumes. It is just the perfect tool to make things easier in your garden.
- This is a lightweight device with a firm
- It has a broad cutting width for convenient tilling.
- It does not emit any gas or fumes to pollute the air.
- It has a sleek and slim design that takes very small space in storage.
Q: Is this tiller useful for breaking up clay?
A: Yes, it may be able to break up clay, but it will need extra strong handling as the lightweight device will bounce around.
Q: How to start this tiller?
A: you have to press and hold down the button and press the starting lever at the same time to make this device working.
Q: Is it possible to till through graveled surface and small rocks?
A: This is a small tiller which is suitable for gardens only; you can till through surfaces and rocks with the help of a bigger tiller.
2. Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe Garden 14-Inch 6.5 amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator
With this tiller, you can easy your body and relax from all the hard work that you has to do to prepare your garden for cultivation season.
The Sun Joe Tiller has four durable steel blade tines that have an angle that is effective to work on tough earth. It cultivates a 14-inch wide path in each pass and delivers a cultivation depth of 7 inches.
If you compare this tool with the traditional tools, you will see that this tiller makes dirt removal and planting significantly easier on your body.
The performance of the device is highly dependable with a powerful 6-1/2 amp motor power. There is nothing to worry about dead batteries with the corded electric design.
You will never run out of gas or worry about mixing the right quantity of oil and gas. You just have to push a small button, and the device is ready to use.
There is also a safety switch in the device that prevents accidental start-up. The oversized ergonomic handles make sure firm and comfortable grip.
This tiller by Sun Joe weighs just 17 pounds; this weight is the main reason behind easy handling and moving the device.
When you are done using the tiller, you can easily fold the handles and store it in a small corner of your garage. It is an ideal choice for small or medium size flowerbeds and gardens.
- It cultivates at the width of 14 inches.
- It has a 6-1/2 amp powerful motor.
- You can start the device with a simple push button.
- There is a safety switch in the tiller to avoid accidents.
Q: Is motor maintenance necessary?
A: Well, if you blow the motor clean and brush off the dirt after every use, you can prolong the life of the both tiller and motor. Oiling the till blades once in a while keeps them running smoothly.
Q: Does the tiller needs assembling before use?
A: There are only a few bolts that you have to put in the right places before you can start using it.
Q: Does this tiller works on rocks and clay grounds?
A: It works fine on small rocks and hard soil, but it is not recommended for clay grounds.
3. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator
This is another tiller by Sun Joe. If you have a small or medium size lawn, then this is going to be your partner in managing your gardening activities.
This tiller is often referred to the greener and cleaner way to work on the seedbeds. You just have to push start the tool and opt for the green choice for creating a great garden.
Sun Joe TJ603E has a collapsible handle which makes it a cinch to store. The company specializes in developing innovative gardening tools to make gardening easy and less time consuming for the people.
It has six durable steel angled tines that cultivate 16 inches wider area with the depth of 8 inches. It just takes seconds to pulverize dirt and slice the soil with 12 amp powerful motor.
There is no need to put any gas or oil in the tiller as well. This thing is super powerful which means you will also be able to till hard clay – but with manhandling.
- This is a super powerful device.
- It has six durable steel angled tins.
- It cultivates 16 inches of the area at a time with a depth of 8 inches.
- It may require extra strong handling if you are tilling hard clay.
Q: Is it strong enough to break up the root structure?
A: It is not recommendable to use an electric tiller for breaking up the root structure. You must use a gas powered tiller as you will have to keep a close eye on the grass that bends the blades, so the motor does not burn up.
Q: If there are PVC pipes underground, will this tool damage them?
A: Yes, there is a possibility as its sharp blades break anything that comes in the way.
Q: Is there any chance of having a variable speed on just on and off switch?
A: It has a slight RMP range which may not count, but it does make a difference.
4. Earthquake MC43 Mini Cultivator with 43cc 2-Cycle Viper Engine
The Earthquake MC43 is a delightful mini cultivator when it comes to weeding and working on fertilizers. It works great with aeration of the soil.
With its 43cc Viper engine, it delivers the right amount of power to work for all kinds of soils and grounds. It is very much light in weight which adds to its easy handling and storage feature.
This mini cultivator increases the maneuverability through the garden rows without damaging other plants in your garden.
With a cultivation width of 6-10 inches, it digs up to 8 inches in the ground. It is not so hard to control, but you need to give it a firm grip to avoid bouncing the machine around.
This is a moderate priced tiller which is recommendable for the people who love to take care of their garden but have a limited budget.
- It works on weeding and fertilizing.
- It has a strong 43cc Viper
- It is light in weight promoting easy handling.
- It also increases the maneuverability.
- It may be difficult to start due to its Viper
- It will take a little bit of space in your storage.
5. Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7920 – Ultra-Lightweight – Compact, Powerful – Sure-Grip Handles – Built to be Durable and Dependable
Using Mantis cultivator to break down the new ground will give you a fresh garden; all ready for cultivation. This tool is going to make things easier for you.
You will be able to cultivate and weed faster than ever. You just need to have an accessible standard power plug, and the machine will be good to go.
It is an ultra-lightweight design with a powerful and commercial capacity. It cultivates at the width of 9 inches with digging depth of 10 inches.
It works fine when you are working for greenhouse quality soil. You can effortlessly fold the machine and store it in the corner of your garage.
You can have a fatigue free operation with the ergonomic handles. It is very easy to dig planting holes with this two-cycle tiller.
- It digs up to 10 inches deep in the ground.
- The two-cycle tiller makes it easier to dig for bigger plants.
- It has a comfortable
- It digs up to 10 inches deep.
- It works on a fine blend of gas and oil.
6. BLACK+DECKER LGC120 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Garden Cultivator/Tiller
Black & Decker LGC120 is a cordless garden cultivator that easily breaks up soil to allow water and nutrients to reach plant roots.
The two long tines are enough to maneuver in between the plants and also prevent weeds from tangling. It digs up to 4 inches deep in the ground.
The telescoping shaft of the tiller adjusts for the perfect length, allowing you to operate the machine standing up without bending over.
This Cultivator is powered by a 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery that ensures a long life of the device.
In a single charge, you will be able to work on 325 sq.ft of ground. Black & Decker is known for the innovation they bring to their appliances, and this machine is a proof of that modernization.
- It prevents weeds from tangling.
- It is a cordless machine as it works on 20-volt battery.
- It is an innovative design.
- You can only work on 325 sq.ft of the area on one charge.
- It digs only 4 inches deep in the ground.
7. GreenWorks 27072 8 Amp 10-Inch Corded Tiller
This device works on a powerful 8 amp motor with an easy to start mechanism. It has 8 inch forward rotating tines that ensure high performance while digging deeper in the ground.
There is an option to adjust the width from 8.25 inches to 10 inches. Both the widths give the same results. There is also an option to dig up to the depth of 5 inches so that you can choose a preferable length according to your needs.
It’s easy to fold handle makes the transportation and storage of the machine easier. The Green Works NEW 8 Amp AC Cultivator delivers powerful and efficient results, making your lawn highly cultivated.
- It has adjustable wheels.
- It has adjustable width and depth options.
- It does not have a firm grip as compared to the other tillers.
- Not preferable for stones and rocks.
8. Troy-Bilt TB154E 6 Amp Electric Garden Cultivator
The Troy brings this tiller with rotating blades for efficient cultivation. It works with a powerful 6.5 amp electric motor.
The width of the tiller is adjustable so that you can till between the widths of 6 to 9 inches.
You will not face any difficulty completing your gardening chores with four forward rotating tines that are ideal for turning up the soil and cultivation.
This is a bit expensive tool, which is why it is not a fast seller. However, it is based on advanced 3-way tines that are specially designed to tear, turn the soil and dig.
Do not go on the size of the machine; it is lightweight with the well-balanced ergonomic design. The heavy duty gearbox ensures long lasting durability.
- It has an adjustable width.
- It has a well-balanced ergonomic design.
- It comes with a heavy-duty
- It will take a bit of space in your garage, as the handle does not fold.
- It does not come with aerator attachment.
9. Mantis 7250-15-02 3-Speed Electric Tiller/Cultivator with Border Edger and Kickstand
Here is another tiller by Mantis is the top 10 list. It has a powerful electric motor which is ready to work just after plugging the unit and pulling the trigger.
It is as lightweight as 21 pounds which is why it is easy to carry and maneuver. It is said that gas powered tillers work better, but this one works just like a gas-powered tiller.
Not all of us have spacious garages to store such gardening tools, but the compact size of this tiller can be stored in any corner of the garage.
It works with reversible tines and digs up to 3 inches in the soil. With the cultivation width of 10 inches, you can set your flower beds in no time.
- It has a cultivation width of 10 inches.
- It is a lightweight device.
- It is easy to start.
- It digs up to only 3 inches deep in the soil.
- There is no safety switch to avoid accidents.
10. Mantis 7262-00-02 4-Cycle Honda Gas-Powered Tiller/Cultivator
Last but not the least, there is another tiller by Mantis. The four-cycle engine of this tiller is powered by Honda.
This is a reliable source to work on the cultivation and fertilization of your ground without any requirement of mixing oil and gas.
Its compact size and design make it easy to carry, maneuver and transport from one place to the other. It has a cultivation width of 10 inches with a depth of 2-3 inches in the soil.
It may look smaller in size, but it works just like any other average tiller available in the market. It will be very easy to maintain the beauty of your garden with this handy tool.
- It has a four cycle engine.
- There is no mixing of oil and gas required.
- It has a compact size.
- It has a cultivation width of 10 inches.
- It digs up to 3 inches only.
Electric Tiller Buying Guide
A Tiller or a cultivator helps to upend earth and prepare the soil for planting flowers, vegetables and other plants. Not only that, a high quality tiller also breaks those stubborn weeds on the hardened earth and gives you a rich and crumby soil.
However, knowing how to buy a powerful tiller than can easily mulch dirt up to 8-inches deep is important.
Types of Tiller Based On Your Needs
When choosing a tiller, you have to determine your purpose as well:
- Tiller: This is an option for those who need to do heavier jobs. This one is usually gasoline powered and offers a greater working width. Moreover, they have much larger and heavy duty tines for working into the soil.
- Front-Tine Tillers: These are used for general garden maintenance. Mainly for soil preparation, weeding and composting in small to medium gardens. These tillers have tines with multiple options like engaging the tines in forward or reverse direction.
- Rear-Tine Tillers: These tillers come with engine-driven wheels and are mainly used for planting in a very large area. As the name suggests, they have forward rotating tines that are perfect to perform in existing beds for cultivating, weeding or even working in compost. They also have the ability to counter rotate the tines which brings about more torque and breaks up the new ground effectively thus digging deeper into the rich soil.
Features To Look In For
Because we are looking for the electric garden tillers, here are some features to consider. While the design is almost the same with a bit of variation, still it is necessary to know about the features at the time of buying.
1: Number Of Tines
The most important feature to look in for are the number of tines. Some models have only 2 but others have 4 and some even come with 6 tines.
2: Rotational Speed
Always look for a tiller with a rotational speed of 180 to 200 rpm or even more. They work the best in mulching the soil and working into the hardened earth.
3: Variable Speed
While not much important but if you are looking for light cultivation, then definitely choose a tiller that offers variable speed.
4: Folding And Carrying Handles
To carry and store the tiller easily into the garage or the backyard room, your tiller must have folding and carrying handles.
For better maneuverability over the hard surfaces, wheels always help. However, those simple tillers can still mulch effectively but with extra efforts.
6: Cord Lock
I think this is a must have feature in every electric tiller. Having a tiller with cord lock system ensures that it smoothly runs in the garden without getting unplugged.
We hope the reviews mentioned above will be helpful in finding the right tool for your garden maintenance.
Our top 10 ‘fabs’ are listed for you to choose from. You know what features to look in for when buying an electric tiller. Personal recommendation would be the Mantis Electric Tiller, however; you should choose the one based on your needs.
Let us know if you need any assistance.