Mobility scooters have become pretty much a norm these days. Aged individuals need some aid in order to move from one place or another. Gone are the days when wheelchairs were used as the most convenient form of conveyance. Instead, electric mobility scooters are available which can be equated to a wheelchair but is configured like a motor-scooter only.
Mobility scooters can be purchased in different models and varieties. We even have different price ranges available where the user can either purchase a brand new model or get their hands on used mobility scooters. Used models are relatively cheap but tend to perform in the same way as new ones. In order to purchase the right model, here is all we need to know about used mobility scooters.
Contents of this Page
The Benefits and Applications of Used Mobility Scooters
An electric mobility scooter is an ideal purchase if the aged one wants to travel on his/her own. It can be used outdoors and indoors as well. It has been preferred over electric wheelchairs because they tend to look cooler and are more comfortable. It even grants the user more maneuverability. It comforts the user psychologically of not being restricted within a wheelchair.
Mobility scooters, either brand new or used ones, are more versatile in nature. These are available in different colors, styles, and designs making it much more fun to ride on it. Here are some of the major applications of using these scooters:
- Shopping is the most obvious benefit of all. It can be used to go out and shop for yourself on your own. There are travel mobility scooters available that are lighter models which can be disassembled as well easily when not in use. They tend to be amazing when maneuvering within crowded areas. Most models also come with baskets if you want to store something.
- Vacationing is another common application of mobility scooters. If you cannot walk for longer periods, then take a travel mobility scooter with you. All you have to do is fold the scooter and place it in the bag. Take it along with you on the vacation and take it out whenever there is a need. If the scooters are fully charged, it can be used ideally for the whole day whether you are in an amusement park on outdoor for other leisure purposes. Given the long battery life, you don’t have to worry about the battery dying.
- Driving is one of the applications that are common among the users. It considered as an alternative to driving vehicles for individuals who need assistance. It can act as an ideal form of transportation. Heavy duty mobility scooters can endure a lot of weight as well. Since such scooters have durable tires, it can even be used on rugged terrains. If you want to spend some time for yourself, just turn on the scooter and go wherever you would like to go.
These were some of the most important applications and benefits of purchasing a mobility scooter.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Used Mobility Scooter
As discussed above, the popularity of mobility scooters has increased a lot in the recent times. However, used models are more popular. New mobility scooters can cost a few thousand dollars depending on the functionality and features. Used mobility scooters can be purchased for half the original price. However, the price may depend on the age and condition.
Generally, the basic rule behind purchasing a scooter is to inquire into the condition. Make sure it is maintained in the perfect manner. The user must experience a comfortable ride. You can even look for a specialist who can take a closer look at the model. An independent assessment can help you make decisions in a well-informed manner. Professionals can tell about the maintenance and repairs that need to carry out further.
Also, drive the model to make sure all the controls are operating well. The scooter must provide a stable and pleasurable ride. Pay attention to speed, acceleration, and the motion. Any issue with these means there is a problem with the mechanism. Check the breaks as well.
Here were some of the general tips, however, there are few things that must be taken into account before finalizing the deal:
- Condition and appearance: Check whether the scooter is in clean condition or not. A dirty scooter means that proper care is not taken of the vehicle. This may also have a negative impact on its performance. Look at all the major parts and make sure they are moving properly. This includes the seat, wheel axles, and the tiller. It the seat appears to be worn down, then consider its replacement. Nevertheless, all used mobility scooters have the capacity to a certain limit. If the unit was used by a person who exceeded the limit, then the model might have worn down quicker than it was supposed to.
- Battery’s condition: All the battery components which include the battery itself, posts and the connections must not be rusty at all. It must be free of corrosion as well. It the rust is present, it is an indication whether the battery is very old or it has not been maintained properly. Also look out for the battery indicator. Also, question the owner for how long the battery has been in use. If you really want to purchase the scooter, then do test the battery. Ask the seller to plug in the charger and check it after four hours. If the indicator doesn’t give a full or an almost full charge signal, there is a need to purchase a new battery. The battery is one of the items that is often replaced by the new owners.
- Previous owner: Do inquire about the previous owner. Scooters that are not used frequently tend to be in better condition. It has less wear and tears on the body. A scooter that is used on regular basis will have more wear and tear. Get more information about the seller. However, if there is no information available, get the serial number and get to know about it from the manufacturing service.
Moreover, here are some questions that the purchaser must ask:
- Will the mobility scooter be used indoors, outdoors or both? A scooter that is in slightly bad condition can be purchased if it is supposed to be used indoors only. Since there is more crowd outdoors, the scooter must be in the right condition for perfect operation.
- Does the scooter need to be highly portable or a heavier and more stable model would work? Heavy duty scooters that are more stable can handle greater weight capacity. It is ideal for those who want to accommodate heavier persons on the vehicle.
- What type of features and controls are required? Mobility scooters come with different features and controls. The scooter must be chosen that suits your preferences. Make sure it has all the functions that would be necessary for you.
How to Purchase Used Mobility Scooters?
The market for used mobility scooters is huge. It is sold by many individual private sellers, in shops and online. Once you have identified the right scooter, you need to look out for its place. Here is how you can purchase it:
- Purchase it from the shop. There are many individuals who trade in their older scooters for a newer model that features high specifications. This means that it is easier to find second-hand models for sale in mobility shops. Even though these models undergo proper service and tuning, they will tend to have shorter warranties compared to newer models. For instance, the warranty might be of four months rather than a year. If you are purchasing the model from a shop, ask for full-service history. This will help you make a more well-informed decision.
- It is possible to score a better discount online. You can search for different websites online such as eBay and Amazon. Used mobility scooters are available for as less as $100 if looked on the right platform. However, if you are purchasing from a private seller, there are a few things that must be taken into account:
- Find out why the mobility scooter is being sold. There is the possibility of something faulty within the vehicle. Also, make sure whether the model was regularly maintained or not.
- Get access to the original paperwork. Ask the seller whether he has original paperwork or not. Also, make sure you get the original instruction manual as well.
- Ask the owner to provide you with the original vehicle number. The number can be checked with the manufacturer then to find out the exact age of the model. This will even let you know whether spare parts are available or not for that particular model.
When purchasing from a private seller, it is important to know your rights. Some private sellers make claim about the condition and quality of the item as being excellent which later transpires to be the opposite. Buyers can argue for a breach of contract hereby. In such cases, you can even ask for a refund.
Moreover, it is imperative to compare used mobility scooters of the same type in order to get the best price. Do get a general idea of the price available. Do not purchase the cheapest deal available. It may mean that there is need to repair the model which would later incur additional costs. Contact more and more mobility retailers in the area to check whether refurbished models are offered for sale. Sometimes, magazines and newspapers even list the sale for scooters. You can also check on the Internet, as mentioned above.
Replacing the Parts
As discussed earlier, used mobility scooters are not perfect. There would be some kind of an error or fault that would need a repair. Mobility scooters have multiple features that might require an upgrade or a replacement. Scooters can be customized according to the requirements. Batteries, seats, tires, chargers and all other elements can be upgraded. Anything that is not wanted within the scooter can be replaced without any problem. In fact, it is recommendable to replace all the damaged and worn out parts.
Why Should Seniors Avail Used Mobility Scooters?
Use mobility scooters provide seniors with all the fun they deserve to have. It increases the quality of life allowing them to travel from one place to another with all the ease and convenience. However, the real issue lies within its expense. The reason why used mobility scooters are recommended is its affordability. It usually falls within the budget of each and every senior. Surprisingly, many sellers even offer them on installments which further makes the purchase easier. Compared to earlier years, mobility scooters are now available at cheaper rates. Given the comfort it offers, the investment is considered worth it.
Given there are multitude of brands providing mobility scooters, the competition has increased resulting into cheaper rates. Now seniors have all the reasons to avail these vehicles. In a nutshell, it allows people who are reliant on others to be independent and travel on their own. It brings a sense of independence within them.
The bottom line
Above was all we needed to know about used mobility scooters. But the real question still remains unanswered: why should I purchase a used model if I can afford a new one? Of course, it is good to consider a brand new model. It tends to offer more benefits compared to used models. There are better features with newer functionalities. It even offers better time period warranties.